Using a microSD memory card, dozens of hours of MP3 content can be pre-loaded at our factory or by you. Programmes can be repeated and paused as desired. This means that children never miss a class as they can always make it up later. Farmer listening groups can gather when convenient for them. They can also record important radio programmes. Radio’s limitation is that if you miss a broadcast, it’s lost forever. With the Lifeplayer, radio programmes, messages, announcements, weather reports, news, etc., can be recorded and played back as many times as needed.
And it’s loud. With its excellent speaker quality 40 or more listeners can hear it.
Like the Lifeline radio before it, and the prime radio, we adopted a human-centered consultative design process.This means that features are based on what end-users said would be important to them.
The Lifeplayer can be powered three ways. There are two solar panel options – a 12V 6W panel on a 3m lead or a detachable solar which fits on the top of the unit and has three rechargeable batteries inside. The latter can be permanently affixed to the unit if desired. The winding mechanism is a back-up power source when there is no sun. Further, a 12V charger is an option for main electricity or a car battery.
Lifeplayer Features and Benefits
- FM, AM and three short-wave radio bands, enabling maximum choice.
- Up to 64GB of content can be pre-loaded onto microSD memory cards in any subject or language. Unlimited hours of content can be updated locally via additional microSD cards.
- LCD screen makes navigation easy.
- Programming can be factory or locally loaded as needed.
- Radio or live voice recordings for playback later can also be deleted later to free up memory card space.
- Ability to be charged via mains electricity or a car battery.
- A retractable antenna and a SW booster cable enable better radio reception.
- The Lifeplayer comes in two models, the Plus and the Start. The Plus has both an internal and an external microSD card slot, whereas the Start has an internal one only.
- A pictorial instruction manual accompanies all units. Accessories come in a cloth, draw-string bag as standard.
- Units can be customised to the needs of a project or an NGO.
Lifeplayer - world's first media player for development
We launched our Lifeplayer MP3 a year ago. This first of its kind media player for development is already in the field and providing educational access to tens of thousands of listeners. In the coming year, our Lifeplayer MP3 will be featured in many education programmes across sub-Saharan Africa. To remind our friends of just how innovative this tool is, we’ve made a short video. Have a look! Tell us what you think!Posted by Lifeline Energy on Wednesday, 16 November 2011